Syllabus: Beyond Binarism
Topics: binarism, normativity, transgender, sexuality, gender, linguistics, queer theory, same-sex marriage, intersectionality, internalized homophobia, allyship
- Genderqueer Chicago
- A Call to Rise With Us #RISEWITHUS
- Trans*Code Chicago
- Columbia College Chicago Presents: [Trans]formation
- through December 17, 2016
- “The Beekeeper: Performing Black Southern Women Who Love Women” by E. Patrick Johnson
- LGBTQ Peer Review Scholarly Journals. ACPA. Retrieved from http://www.myacpa.org/lgbtq-peer-review-scholarly-journals
Week 1: Introduction to Binarism
- Dietert, M., & Dentice, D. (2013). Growing Up Trans: Socialization and the Gender Binary. Journal of GLBT Family Studies, 9(1), 24-42.
Week 2: Normativity: What is Normal?
- Sullivan, N. (2003). A Critical Introduction to Queer Theory. New York, NY: NYU Press.
Week 3: Gender Blending
- Devor, H. (1989). Gender Blending: Confronting the Limits of Duality. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
Week 4: Transitioning
- McCloskey D. N. (1999). Crossing: A Memoir. University of Chicago Press. Chicago, IL.
- Boylan, J. F. (2015, September 30). A transgender path home | Jennifer Finney Boylan | TEDxMet [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/I0h7LFvlVwk
Week 5: Linguistics
- Zwickey, A. M. (1997). Two lavender issues for linguists. In A. Livia & K. Hall (Eds.), Queerly Phrased: Language, Gender, and Sexuality (pp. 21-34). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Week 6: Internalized Homophobia
- Thorpe, D. (Director). (2014). Do I Sound Gay? [Motion picture]. United States: IFC Films.
Week 7: Intersectionality (Race)
- Richen, Y. (Director). (2013). The New Black. [Motion picture]. United States: Promised Land Film, Inc.
Week 8: Same Sex Marriage
- Miller, T. G. (Producer). (2014). Limited Partnership. [Motion picture]. United States: Tesseract Films.
Week 9: Privilege
- Goldschein, G. (Producer). (2015, August 2). The Road Trip-Part 1 [Television series episode]. In G. Goldschein (Producer), I am Cait. United States: Bunim Murray Productions.
- Goldschein, G. (Producer). (2015, August 9). The Road Trip-Part 2 [Television series episode]. In G. Goldschein (Producer), I am Cait. United States: Bunim Murray Productions.
Week 10: Allyship
- Utt, J. (2013, November 8). So you call yourself an ally: 10 things all ‘allies’ need to know. Everyday Feminism. Retrieved from http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/11/things-allies-need-to-know/